The Peninsula Community Network is a forum created by East Down Rural Community Network which first met in November 2007. Several community groups from villages along the length of the Ards Peninsula meet every two months to share information and work together on common issues affecting rural life. PCN is hosted by each of the organisations involved on a rotating basis and Chaired by the staff from EDRCN who founded the group, Frances Hughes and Sandra Henderson. Groups currently attending the Network include the following;
1. East Down Rural Community Network.
2. Millisle Community Association.
3. Ballywalter Action Group.
4. Ballyhalbert Heritage & Regeneration Group.
5. Greyabbey Community Poilice Liason Committee.
6. Ballyhalbert & District Community Association.
7. Kirkcubbin Regeration.
8. Rectory Park Residents Association.
9. Kirkcubbin Sailing Club.
10. Kircubbin Projects Committee.
11. Portavogie Culture & Heritage Society.
12. Cloughey & District Community Association
13. Representatives from Ards Borough Council
14. Portaferry Community Collective
There are regular guest speakers who bring valuable information to the groups. Recent meetings have had representatives from The Volunteer Development Agency, speaking about how to best manage roles and responsibilites in a community group, Marsh Insurance, discussing the types of insurance required by groups and how their activites affect their premiums, and the Manager of the Down Rural Area Partnership, outlining the types of projects eligible for funding from the Rural Development Programme.
If you or your group were not represented at previous meetings, there is still an opportunity to get involved and become members of the Network.